The inscription is in Latin but a translation in the church vestibule is:
"Here lieth JAMES STEVENSON M. A.. First priest of this church. Founder of all the surrounding buildings. He died on the 5 March 1868 in the 64th year of his age. May God be merciful to his soul.
Lord, all pitying, Jesu blest, Grant him thine eternal rest"